Saturday 30 August 2014

The Question Why ???


I was walking down the road when this melodious jingle forced me to stop. It was a "white reddish cellar". The very sight of that basket full of delicious radishes made my mouth watery
. I dug into my wallet and spend the next 15  minutes enjoying this unforgettably delicious snack. While i was engaged in eating i tried to decipher the lyrics of that radish seller's song ,when i did so i burst into laughter. The poor guy was giving a three word advice. "Friends do not drink water".
This song made me go back in time when my mother used to scold me if i drink water immediately after eating radish or in fact any fruit. It was believed that by doing so it would trigger a "throwing up" fit. This Temporary water ban made curious and question myself why ????????
We were also told not to eat watermelon in any part of he day except morning as it would cause stomach cramps. Fear was instilled into us not to drink milk after snacking on fish as it would lead to some sort of skin infection. But my curiosity always made me question why ?????
Although i have been able to apply some of these childhood taboos on my small brother being confronted by a question that takes me the wind out of me ,
the question is WHY ?????????????

No comments:

Post a Comment